Tanya Burdett has been advising clients on strategic planning, impact assessment, and community engagement strategies for over 27 years. Tanya is committed to environmental and social planning principles as a core consideration in planning initiatives.
With a Masters in Environmental Studies and Bachelor of Applied Science in Planning, Tanya brings together an in-depth knowledge of land use, spatial planning, environmental management and public participation disciplines.
In the UK, her work has led to successful outcomes for:
- Eco-towns planning policy in England
- Strategic Environmental Assessment Directive implementation in the UK
- Sustainability appraisal for new high-speed rail (HS2) in the UK.
In Australia, Tanya actively works for various water, transport, energy and urban development clients to improve sustainability of their policies, plans, programs and projects.
Tanya is a PhD Candidate at the University of Melbourne. Her research focusses on integrated decision-making processes and strategic planning.
A Registered Planner (through the Planning Institute of Australia), Licensed IAP2 Trainer (through the International Association for Public Participation), Tanya is highly involved with a range of professional associations. In addition to IAP2 and PIA, this includes active professional memberships with IAIA, IEMA, EIANZ and VPELA.
Tanya works closely with other organisations to improve approaches to environmental assessment and engagement, and is an Associate with the Temple Group Ltd. In delivery of IAP2 training Essential Planning is an IEMA approved Training Centre.
Teaching Support/ Tutor / PhD Candidate – University of Melbourne (2018 – Present)
- Tutor in Urban Sustainability and Climate Change
- Guest lecturer in Participatory Planning – Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning, School of Design.
Sessional Member – Planning Panels Victoria, Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning (2018 – Present)
- Panel member for planning scheme amendments – Pakenham East Precinct Structure Plan (2018)
- Distinctive Areas and Landscapes Standing Advisory Committee, Draft Surf Coast Statement of Planning Policy and Proposed Landscape Planning Controls (2021).
Director – Burdett Associates, Melbourne Australia (2015 – Present)
Planning, engagement, facilitation and capacity building services.
- Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand
- Planning Institute of Australia (PIA)
- Yarra City Council
- South Gippsland Water
- Development Victoria
IAP2 Trainer (since 2010)
Licensed IAP2 Certificate and Foundations Trainer facilitating Public Participation Training, Capacity Building and Organisational Culture Change workshops around the world